Monday, August 31, 2009

Hi Friends!

Hi friends far and near: I have been pretty naughty in the quilt fabric acquisition department lately. But really, who could resist these lovely plaids at the quilt shop, less than $1.00 per fat quarter! I snatched them up! I foresee some more plaid quilts in my future.

And these pretty 5 inch strips, in a roll, just begged to come home too. I love these fabrics! What to do with them, I have no idea. Do you? :)


And at long last, my books came from Amazon. Above are two Evelyn Sloppy books and another string piecing book too. This is a wonderful look-forward-to thing...when I am going to sleep at night, I will browse these books and really enjoy them. The plaid quilt is in one of these books!!!



I have been working a lot, lot lately, thus my lack of posts. But progress is still being made! Above is the plaid quilt, with the next border, a narrow piano key one. Boy, this was a lot of sewing! I was going to make the border very wide, but it kind of overwhelmed the quilt, so I cut it down to 3 1/2 inches, like the nine patch blocks, and it looks much better. I have learned a lot about proportion and size in this quilt, and that is good for me. Lots of plaids, huh?




Leftover nine-patches in the corners. Amazingly, I just got the book that this quilt was made from! When I am almost finished, that is about how I roll, reading the needed instructions last!! LOL! But, I wanted to honor the designer of this quilt, Evelyn Sloppy, so that is why I purchased her book. She has so many great quilts in her book! Wow, her quilts are just up my alley, so fun.





Remember Carrie, the very sick little 19 year old I told you about last post? Well, she is still in our unit, and now septic with candida and bacterial infections. It is very guarded if she will survive or not. She is still on the ventilator...a month of this support now. Her favorite color is green, and I just felt compelled to make her a little green quilt for her lap and legs. I just need to do the binding, hand stitch it down. Her family is faithful and there 24 hours each day...they are so tired. Prayers are still needed for this poor baby girl.






I have been trying to catch up on some things...and I know you will recognize the blocks above. These blocks are a free design by http://www.gailpandesigns.typepad.com/.
Gail has been most gracious to design and post these patterns for the quilting and embroidery folks out there, at no charge...thank you so much, Gail, I am really enjoying these.


So all of you...have a wonderful day, and I hope you can find some joyous quilting time in your busy-ness of the day!
Julie




















20 comments:

Trisha said...

Your plaid quilt is just wonderful!!

Pat said...

Still hoping and praying Carrie recovers. That was nice of you to make a quilt for her....you are a very kind person. I love your plaid quilt.......excellent job on that!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG....plaids GORGEOUS!!! LOVE IT!!!!

*karendianne. said...

You have such a big, huge heart. I love that green quilt and imagine the healing it will offer. Oh Julie, this about makes me cry...

Your plaid quilt is about one of the best quilts ever. I know I've said that about the last two you've made but you keep upping the ante and I fall over impressed even more. This truly is delightful. And my friend, you always deserve you some good old fashioned fabric acquisitions for no plans at all - any day of the week!

Nancy said...

Love the plaids. The quilt keeps getting better and better.

Karen said...

I didn't know that Wyndham fabrics was doing rolls of fabric. A good pick.

AnnieO said...

There's nothing like a little retail therapy to spark the mind! Love the piano key border--that's a border on my bucket list too!

I have a 19 year old so this poor girl's story is just heartbreaking. I hope she makes it out of your unit alive! The green quilt is gorgeous. You are so sweet.

Ali Honey said...

Wow that plaid is so cheap!

I have made the quilt that is on the cover of that Evelyn Sloppy book ( on the right ) It turned out so well. ( it's in a photo in my right side bar in purples and lime greens )

Marilyn Robertson said...

Oh I would have a hard time resisting those fabrics too, especially the Wyndham ones! Your plaid quilt is just wonderful! Prayers for Carrie and her family! The green quilt is such a thoughtful thing to make and give.

Teresa said...

Nice buys you made. I think your piano key border looks great.

That is a very thoughtful thing you did for Carrie, making the quilt and I just know the family is going to be so touched by your act of kindness.

The Calico Cat said...

That green quilt is lovely & you are a blessing for having made it. That is why you are the nurse of the millenium!

Finn said...

Love, love, love your plaid quilt, I think even Evelyn would be very proud of you! It's gorgeous, love the piano key border,perfect size!
And good for you for buying those books. I'm sure you will make more quilts from them.
Carrie's quilt is soo pretty and I think will give her great joy. A nice gift for her family also, that someelse loves and cares about her suffering.
Big hugs for Julie and Rusty, Finnie

Stina Blomgren said...

Love your new plaids and the windham fabrics too...:o)) Good of you take care of the homespuns!!! :o)) I just love your plaid quilt.. think it looks better and better evry time I see it!!! :o))

Michele Bilyeu said...

Your plaid quilt is stunning, your Carrie quilt makes me cry. Sending prayers to her, her husband, family and parents and praying for a miracle.

Jean said...

You have been very busy...love the plaid quilt as well as the little green one.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wowie you have been very busy there! Love the plaid quilt border...it is a lot of work those piano key borders, eh?
Hope the green quilt helps to bring more healing!

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie, your plaid quilt is gorgeous.....love to see how you quilt it....Such a lovely gesture for Carrie......in my prayers ...hugs lyn

Loris said...

Thank you so much for the update about Carrie. My heart goes out to her and her family. They are in my prayers. That's a wonderful quilt for her.
Love the other strings, plaids and embroidery!
Not much sewing going on here..studying for some certifications this month and last. October will bring a new start to quilting projects.

Stephanie D said...

Love the Wyndham fabrics--I couldn't have resisted them, either.

And the plaid quilt looks just wonderful with the piano key border!

I'm sure Carrie's family is able to appreciate that beautiful quilt now, and here's hoping Carrie will be able to enjoy it more fully soon.

Ginger Patches said...

I have the 2 outside books but the center one I have not seen...hmmmm may have to add that to my wish list!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...